Saturday 12 September 2015

Pureéd beets with yogurt & za'atar, p. 53

This is a roast beet and yogurt dip flavoured with za'atar. It's actually pretty easy to make: you roast the beets, you make the world's least appealing smoothie (beet/yogurt/garlic/chile), and then you add the za'atar, some olive oil and salt, and date syrup (for which I used the suggested substitution of maple).  Then you serve it by topping it with goat cheese, more olive oil, and some hazelnuts (or, in my case, pistachios).

If you've never combined goat cheese with beet, you should try it.  I think the best way to do it is in my favourite beet salad: you roast and peel beets, slice them, and toss them with goat cheese, lime juice, salt, and parsley.  The lime juice acidifies the salad, which makes the pigment in the beets (which is called betanin) especially red, while the creaminess of the goat cheese both gives the dish better mouthfeel and also gives the salad more of a chance to get pink, since the cheese instantly turns colour in the beet.  Plus, I think lime goes better with beet than does lemon.

Anyhow, where were we?  Oh, right.  The Jerusalem recipe.  There's a tedious headnote about a different beet recipe (which is why I didn't feel bad with the previous paragraph), but fundamentally, this feels like Standard Jerusalem Dip Number 15723.  Which is a fine thing, but unfortunately, I only have one of those dips right now, not the three or four that would make for a better meal.

Then again, I made this dip as a side dish with fried chicken.  Why am I complaining, again?

No comments:

Post a Comment