Sunday 18 January 2015

Tahini cookies (p. 292)

This is one of the recipes I've made several times from Jerusalem.

It's basically a peanut butter cookie, only with tahini instead.  (And, indeed, the headnote points out that tahini is the closest relative to peanut butter in that part of the world.  This made for a horrendous "let's just use PB instead of tahini" hummus recipe in Slate a few years ago.  Don't make that.  Make the hummus from Jerusalem instead.  We'll get there.)

I'm concerned that making the recipes from this book that I haven't already made is going to be hard due to lack of ease of getting ingredients.  Fresh herbs are in short supply here this winter, it seems, and poaching pears in red wine always sounds great except that there aren't great pears now.  I don't want to fall back on the chicken in cardamom rice, but I do think we'll have lentils and rice with caramelized onions later this week instead.  That one I've not made.

But these cookies?  They're great!  The texture is crumbly, like a good peanut butter cookie, but with that funny oobleck-like tahini compressibility to it as well. And the sesame flavour from the tahini is rich and not at all inappropriate. Better still, you can say, "gosh, I want cookies", and have cookies in 40 minutes.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment